A few days ago I celebrated my anniversary with this delicious genoise topped with banana cream cheese. I can not tell you how good it was! Soft sponge cake and creamy cheese flavored with orange zest and banana puree, and a crunchy surprise at the end with the raw cacao nibs. What a treat!
My twenty ninth anniversary could not have passed indeed without some romantic sparkles captured in a beautiful living stills, isn’t it? I believe there is no better way to remember such important moment of our emotional life, than with a living still which represents the whole idea of fragility of life.
1. Prehear the oven to 180C. Sift together the flour, almond meal and cocoa powder. Set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer whisk at medium speed for 2 minutes, on bain-marie, the eggs with sugar. Remove from stove and continue to whisk for 5-7 minutes, until the batter folds in a ribbon shape and has tripled its volume.
3. Gradually add the flour over egg batter and stir gently until fully incorporated. Pour the mixture in a cake pan (~22 cm) greased and bake for 25 minutes. Cool on a rack and continue to assemble with the cream cheese below.
Ingredients for cream cheese:
2 egg yolks
80 g sugar
30 ml orange juice
3 leaves gelatine, softened in cold water
150 ml pouring cream
150 ml ricotta
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 ripe bananas pureed
raw cacao nibs
1. Whisk egg yolks in an electric mixer for 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy. Combine sugar and citrus juice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and stir to dissolve, then bring to the boil and cook until syrup reaches 120°C on a sugar thermometer. With motor running on high speed, add sugar syrup to egg yolks in a thin stream. Return saucepan to heat, squeeze excess water from gelatine and add to pan, stir until just melted then add to egg yolks and whisk until cold.
2. Combine pouring cream, ricotta, banana puree and orange zest in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. Fold cream mixture into egg mixture. Spread evenly over genoise and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until set. Decorate with raw cacao nibs.