Posted on July 22nd, 2012
This post is also available in: Romanian
In this calm and gloomy Sunday, I will let the photos speak for me. My mind is taken by thoughts of all sorts, projects, dreams and voyages. It’s summer and my thoughts are overflowing with inspiration.
Les Mille-Feuilles (all recipes here from Mon cours de cuisine)
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
350g pâtissière cream
450g good quality pastry dough (preferable homemade)
10g powder sugar
Ingredients pâtissière cream:
6 egg yolks
Directions for making the pâtissière cream :
1. Warm the milk until boiling point. Meantime mix the yolks with sugar, until pale and fluffy. Add in flour and stir well.
2. Slowly pour over the eggs, the warm milk, stirring continuously. Put the mix in a pan and return to heat. Cook it for about 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously, until reaching the consistency desired. Set aside to cool and store it in the fridge until further use.
Ingredients for Chantilly:
50cl whipping cream (creme Fleurette)
50g powder sugar
Directions for making the Chantilly cream :
1. Place a small bowl inside a bigger bowl filed with ice. Place in the small bowl, the vanilla extract, sugar and whipping cream. Mix all ingredients using an electric mixer, at high speed.
Directions for making the mille-feuilles:
1. Mix spoon by spoon the pâtissière cream with Chantilly cream. Cover the bowl with an plastic sheet and keep it refrigerated.
2. If you bough the pastry dough just roll it over a surface powder gently with flour and cut it in small 12 rectangles. Prick each one with a fork. If you made the pastry dough, roll it in a 2-3 mm thick layer and follow the same procedure.
3. Preheat the oven to 220C. Bake six pieces at the time, placed on a tray lined with parchment paper, for about 10 minutes. Be careful not to over bake them. Continue in the same way with the others.
4. If you want to caramelize the top layers either place them on a tray lined with parchment paper, set the oven to grill mode and sprinkle each one with sugar. Bake for 1 minute. If you have a torch you can do the same, without using the oven.
5. Assemble the mille-feuilles, 3 by 3 layers, filling them with the cream prepared earlier and topping each pieces with the caramelized layer.