Ruote Tricolore with Roasted Eggplant and Basil Sauce it’s one of my favorite pasta dish. Pasta can go well with almost anything, so when I prepared this dish I told to my self that I should try to put it together with the eggplants.
As the Easter it’s approaching, we are fasting and we are eating more vegetables then ever. This dish is very nourishing. I’m crazy about eggplants, and I’m trying to introduce them to almost any dish that I’m preparing. So marring the eggplants with the pasta it seamed almost natural, and it was exquisite :very light and extremely tasteful.
Ingredients (Makes 2 servings) :
2 medium pieces of eggplant
1 tablespoon of olive oil
half of a medium onion
1 teaspoon of dry oregano
2 teaspoon of freshly chopped basil
1 cup chicken stock or water
3 tablespoons sun-dried or oven-dried tomatoes, minced
Salt and pepper
250g route tricolore or any Italian pasta
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Wash the eggplants and dry them with a towel paper.
2. Place the oven rack in the lower-middle position. Place the eggplants directly on the oven rack and cook them for 40 minutes or until they start to be mellow at touch. Put them aside and let cool completly.
3. Then, start to peel off their roasted skin. As a final result you should have just the core flesh of the eggplant. Draw them off for 15 minutes.
4. Meantime, finely cut the onion, next chop roughly the eggplants and mix them with the onion. Using a stick blender, purée them until smooth and creamy. Add the olive oil, a pinch of salt and stir well, until combined.
5. In a saucepan, on medium heat, put together the eggplant sauce with the sun dried tomatoes, oregano and basil. Add chicken stock or water. If necessary season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, then set aside.
6. Cook the pasta according to the package instruction, then stir in the eggplant sauce and serve it with fresh chopped basil.[/stextbox]