web analytics

Recipes & Stories

The moment of truth has finally arrived. Recently, I started exploring and loving the Czech cuisine. For starters, just with cakes; however, soon with other meals as well.

I ate Marlenka back in 2009, but I didn’t quite liked it. It was just a dry layer cake. Few month later, I dared giving it a try again. Different pastry shop, different taste. It was amazing! I fell in love with this precious simple cake, and I said to myself that I really must try to make it at home.

It was hard to find the recipe. It was hard to find the most accurate recipe of this wonder cake. But, finally, I managed and here we are talking about it.

So this week, I tested the recipe. The preparation of the honey dough was pretty simple, and the layers came out perfectly, a bit crispy and golden brown.

For the cream filling, I encountered a few difficulties. In the recipe was not specified how much I needed to cook the cream, and in which order the ingredients should be mixed. So, I had the surprise of a failed cream. On second try, I cooked the cream just enough on the thicker side, for about 8 minutes. The cream must not be very thick or extremely liquid. Then, the assembly of the cake was simple. Is very important to leave enough time for the cake to cool in the fridge, before cutting and serving it.

Ingredients for Marlenka :

– 2 eggs
– 60 g butter
– 200 g crystal sugar
– 40 g honey
– half of teaspoon of baking powder
– 600 g flour

Ingredients for the cream filling :

– 230 ml sweetened condensed milk
– 2 eggs
– 30 g honey
– 60 g butter
– 100 g ground walnuts

Directions :

Start preparing the cake. Add the sugar and honey in a small saucepan on medium heat and stir until all melted and well blended. Then add the butter and mix well. Add the eggs, baking powder and mix well. Add the flour bit by bit stirring well. Add the flour until the dough is still kneadable but slightly hard. It should not come apart. Add flour or milk as necessary to make the dough non-sticky. Separate the dough into 4-5 pieces, and roll it in into 5 large fine squares equally square.

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a parchment paper in a large pan. Place the dough layer inside. Bake each layer for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown, then cool on an iron rack.

Prepare the cream filling. In a small saucepan melt the butter on medium heat. Then pour in the eggs lightly beaten and the honey. Stir well until combined. Add the condensed milk gradually and stir continuously. Leave the cream on heat until it starts to become thicker, around 3-5 minutes. Let the cream cool a bit. To assemble the cake, top each layer with cream.

Sprinkle walnuts on top layer after the last fifth layer of filling. Drizzle with melted chocolate. It is best to let the cake rest and cool in the fridge for minimum 6 hours or better, over night, before serving.

Comments ( 14 )

• David Procter says:

This must be the most sumptuous looking blog ever!
    I’m just checking out other autofocus blogs as I’ve just downloaded it. You’ve done a fine job here, food for thought for sure.
    D

• Gabriela says:

Hi David! Thanks for stopping by on my site! Hope you’ll be back to read and even prepare by yourself some recipes from here.

• Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake says:

[…] the fact that I’ve used a special combination of cracker bottom made from leftovers from my Marlenka cake and plain biscuits. The honey taste is incredible combined with the cheese and the spicy pumpkin. […]

• Monika says:

Hi! I was recently in Prague and tried Marlenka and loved it! Just wondering if putting the eggs on heat won’t make them curdle?
    Thanks!
    Monika

• Gabriela Iancu says:

Hi Monika,

The eggs will not be curdle if the liquid won’t be too hot when you pour the eggs in. Take off the heat the mixture, and add the eggs, all at once, and mix well until incorporated.

• Teodora says:

A lot of thanks for this recipe. The cake is my mother’s favorite. We find it in Romania imported from Czech Republic, at a very high price.

• Teodora says:

Hei, acum mi-am dat seama ca esti romanca!!! Felicitari pentru blog!!!

• Eliza says:

Hi Gabriela I made a cake but with small squares. They re abit dry so it seems they look pastry rather than cake. Just dont know I’m mistaken or it’s naturally a bit dry?

• Gabriela says:

Hi Eliza. The cake it shouldn’t be too dry. I’m not sure how dry it was yours, but you should also let it stand over night, in order to allow the cream and flavors to soak in the layers of the cake. Did you use the same quantities for the cream and layers? If you didn’t put enough cream between layers, this could be also a reason why the layers didn’t soak properly. However, the cake itself, is a bit dry, but not too much.

• Godot says:

Marlenka is a traditional armenian cake. It has got nothing to do with the gastronomy of czech. greetings from hungary 🙂

• Melissa says:

I bought this marlenka cake from lovemarlenka e-store in London and it was amazing!!! It looks too complicated for me to do it alone 😀